Ga naar inhoud

F1 Nieuws

TCT

Aanbevolen berichten

Grosjean al 2 dagen de snelste tijdens de testen.

Räikkönen heeft niet deelgenomen?

Omdat de eerste dag (letterlijk) in het water viel besloten ze om Grosjean 2 dagen te geven en zoveel mogelijk rond te krijgen.

Lotus heeft geen echt updates getest, maar afstellingen en andere dingen die ze tijdens een raceweekend nog niet hebben kunnen doen.

(Zie ook de pré-season test die ze gemist hebben)

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

D'Ambrosio: Life on the F1 subs' bench space.gif

Jerome D'Ambrosio reckons the reserve role with Lotus will do his career more good than another year in a rear-of-the-pack race seat. The Belgian told AUTOSPORT why he believes his step back will pay off

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]By Andrew van Leeuwen[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]AUTOSPORT writer[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]space.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

1336232984.jpg Jerome D'Ambrosio is the latest driver to decide that a background role at a frontrunning team is a better career move than racing for a backmarker, so swapped his 2011 Virgin race seat for the number three slot at Lotus this year.

The Belgian is therefore spending 2012 waiting in the wings and trying to be as ready as possible should Kimi Raikkonen or Romain Grosjean - who have shown that the Lotus E20 has winning potential - be indisposed.

D'Ambrosio got his first run in the car at this week's Mugello test, where he joined AUTOSPORT for an in-depth chat about how he hopes 2012 will benefit his long-term career, and what life on the subs' bench involves.

Q. You've finally had your first taste of the E20, and you've already said that it's a very different beast from what you were racing last year. Can you elaborate on the differences?

Jerome D'Ambrosio: I did say that the Lotus was better a couple of times, but one thing I forgot to mention is that it's not fair to compare, if you know what I mean. At Marussia you have people trying their best and doing a great job, but they are at the start of their Formula 1 history.

[TABLE=class: pictable, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]1336233015.jpg D'Ambrosio's racing debut came in a Virgin © LAT[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The cars are two different things and, like I said, you can't really compare them. I mean, [the Lotus] is just better in every aspect. There is a huge difference – the downforce we have here is just amazing. And I don't say that as a criticism of Marussia, it's just two different situations for two different teams.

At the end of the day, this is a team that has won world championships and they know how to make quick cars – and the car is quick to drive.

Q. I'm guessing that the rain on Tuesday meant you didn't quite get through your entire programme, but was it still productive for you to just be back in a car?

JD: Definitely. To be honest, I can't remember when I've been out of a car for that long, and there is always a question mark over how quickly it will all come back. I was quite surprised how quickly I felt comfortable again.

It was very valuable time for me in the car. It wasn't the best conditions – I was meant to have a full day, so I had a lot less time to get up to speed – but it was still great. I really enjoyed working through all the procedures again, from start procedures to KERS usage and so on.

I approach my role as a third driver during a weekend like I'm a race driver. I try to stay focused, with the debriefs and everything. It helps me keep my rhythm.

[TABLE=class: pictable, width: 275, align: right]

[TR]

[TD]1336233053.jpg D'Ambrosio tries out the Lotus at Mugello © XPB[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So it was a valuable day. It might have only been 19 or 20 laps in the dry, but it wasn't all about that; it was about getting a feeling for the car. It was probably more valuable for me than it was for the team, because there wasn't too much we could understand from that morning.

Q. How different is life as a third driver, compared to being a race driver?

JD: It's very, very different. I'm learning a lot, because this is one of the top teams. I learned a lot last year, and now I'm learning new things.

But it is frustrating. As a race driver I want to be racing, and I'd be lying if I said, 'Yeah it's fantastic, I'm enjoying myself like crazy'. I do enjoy myself, because I'm learning a lot, and I'm still involved with the team... but on a Sunday afternoon I want to be there on the grid. I want to race.

So it can be frustrating, which is why I was so keen on getting in the car this week.

Q. Most professional sportspeople go through ups and downs in their career. How important is this year – and this role with Lotus – in terms of taking your career back up to where you want it to be?

JD: It's very important. I'm happy to have this opportunity.

[TR]

[TD]1336233119.jpg D'Ambrosio keeps busy while Grosjean is out © XPB[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I don't really look at this as a 'down' to be honest. If you look within the world of Formula 1, within the teams, it's a big evolution. I'm part of this big structure, with a great team, so I can still be involved. It's my own evolution.

My goal is obviously not to be a third driver, it's to race, so I think this is an opportunity that isn't the nicest as a racing driver, but it's a step that will help me grow. This will help me get back into a race seat, and that's my target for next year.

So this is part of what I consider the evolution of my Formula 1 career.

Q. OK, let's talk about the specifics of your job. At Mugello, you spent the first day in the car, then the next two days at the track with the team. What exactly are you doing when you're not driving?

[TABLE=class: pictable, width: 275, align: right]

[TR]

[TD]1336233158.jpg D'Ambrosio chats with the Lotus race duo © LAT[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

JD: It's actually quite interesting even when I'm not in the car. It would have been even more interesting if I'd had a full day on Tuesday, because it was difficult to compare what I had done with what happened on Wednesday, because the conditions were so different. That was a bit unfortunate.

But it was still nice to be around the team, listening to Romain and hearing what he has to say about the car. When he comes in after a run, we can still compare what he is feeling with what I was feeling.

My role is to be in every debrief, listening to the engineers, and that's a great way for me to continue learning. And if there is anything I can help them with, I'm always there.

Obviously when you're out of the car, it's more difficult to have any input because at the end of the day what really counts is the feeling, but it still helps me keep up the racing rhythm. Racing isn't all about being in the car; there's a lot to do out of the car as well.

Q. Has the team been happy with the Mugello test as a whole?

[TR]

[TD]1336233189.jpg Lotus flew at Mugello © XPB[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

JD: OK, for me it was a bit limited on the Tuesday, but I think they've run some good programmes with Romain. It's a very different track to what we're used to anywhere else – the average speed is unbelievable – so while it's great to drive, a set-up that works here probably won't work somewhere else.

What is important is to collect as much data as possible, and then analyse that at the factory and see what we can get out of this test.

Q. From the sidelines, have you seen anything from the other teams that has caught your interest?

JD: It's only testing, and I don't know how many new parts the other teams have brought with them. I was trying to see what the other teams were doing, but it was difficult.

Often in Formula 1, what we consider to be a big difference – something that will have a big effect on the car – is not something that's very obvious from the outside. Unless it's a big change, like a new front wing or nose or something like that, it's very difficult to see what the other teams are doing.

But in testing it's always better to be up there, because you know the conditions that you're running with. Like in winter testing, we were always up there and we knew the conditions for us, so we knew that the car was quite good.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Hij slaat de nagel op de kop, me dunkt. :lol:

Al snel kwamen we dan bij een punt dat we wel moesten aanhalen. Al sinds VT4 de rechten kreeg voor de formule 1 waren er al vraagtekens bij het commentaar. Eens het seizoen begonnen was werden veel fora over formule 1 en dat van VT4 overstelpt met kritiek over het commentaar van Wauters en zijn co-commentatoren. Onze vraag was “Hoe ga je met de kritiek (die er op internetfora staat) om?”

Het antwoord was kort maar krachtig: “Ik lees geen internetfora. Dat is de vuilbak van de samenleving waar een hoop onnozelaars hun praat van op café verkopen, maar dan nog erger. Op café kan je nog slaag krijgen als je iets wat hard roept of zo. Achter de veiligheid van een computerscherm wordt er vanalles gezegd. Ik denk dan “Kom naar hier en zorg dat je het beter doet.” Ik trek mij de kritiek totaal niet aan.”

http://www.f1journaal.be/index.php/nieuws/artikel/exclusief-kris-wauters-beantwoordt-kritiek-op-f1-commentaar/

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Vuilbak van de samenleving, hoop onnozelaars... :roll:

En ik was dan nog positief over de jongen :fp:

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

d'Ambrosio zou op het lijstje staan om Massa te vervangen...

Voordeel van d'Ambrosio is dat die zich direct kan vrijmaken om een half jaartje voor Ferrari te gaan rijden, zodat Ferrari op het gemak naar een vaste 2de rijder kan gaan zoeken...

Laat dan Massa gwn het seizoen uitrijden hééééé....

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

128676078612032383.jpg

1. De kans is toch redelijk klein.

2. Als hij het mag waarom dan niet D'Ambrosio? Dat is goed om sponsors warm te maken in België voor de Formule1.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

• 2 weken later...

Hamilton heeft van McLaren 125mio euro aangeboden gekregen als die zijn contract met 5jaar verlengt... Bedrag is zo hoog omdat ze bij McLaren ook wel zullen weten dat hun goudhaantje mogelijks door een ander (en beter) team zal worden overgenomen... In plaats van dat geld in hun wagen te pompen, want zo goed als ze waren aan het begin van het seizoen, zo slecht zijn ze nu...

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Dat geld kunnen ze niet in de auto pompen want daar zijn budgetrestricties op. Op het aantrekken van een rijder niet.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Hamilton heeft van McLaren 125mio euro aangeboden gekregen als die zijn contract met 5jaar verlengt... Bedrag is zo hoog omdat ze bij McLaren ook wel zullen weten dat hun goudhaantje mogelijks door een ander (en beter) team zal worden overgenomen... In plaats van dat geld in hun wagen te pompen, want zo goed als ze waren aan het begin van het seizoen, zo slecht zijn ze nu...

Effe kort, naar waar zie je Hamilton vertrekken?

* RedBull? Daar zit die koorknaap Vettel.

* Ferrari? Juist, Alonso.

* Mercedes? Misschien wel, maar hebben zich nog niet helemaal bewezen als topteam. Schumacher moet er dan wel weg.

* Lotus? Lijkt me niet het team te investeren in zulke rijder.

* Williams? Geen geld, geen winnend team (met Spanje als uitzondering).

En wat zou er met Kubica gebeuren.

Ik denk dat Hamilton bij McLaren blijft. McLaren had in mijn ogen dan niet zo hoog moeten bieden en inderdaad het geld voor iets anders gebruiken.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Ik geloof dat RedBull, in de plaats van Webber, een realistische optie is... Al zie ik Hamilton wel liever bij McLaren rijden...

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Ik geloof dat RedBull, in de plaats van Webber, een realistische optie is... Al zie ik Hamilton wel liever bij McLaren rijden...

Juist ja, en RedBull degradeert Vettel tot tweede rijder?

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Na wat googlen blijkt dat die kans zeer reëel is. Blijkbaar is hij intussen nog eens gevallen en heeft Ferrari op hem laten vallen. :(

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Twee wereldkampioenen in een team werkt nauwelijks...

Button-Hamilton? Waarom zou Vettel-Hamilton dan niet kunnen?

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Omdat Hamilton begint te wenen wanneer zijn teammaat sneller is.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Om dezelfde reden dat Alonso - Hamilton eigenlijk niet kon...

Button is eigenlijk een zeer goede 2de rijder, hoe cru dat ook mag klinken...

Die heeft vooral geluk gehad met de wagen en toenmalige teamgenoot Barichello in 2009...

En toch zou RedBull Vettel - Hamilton een topteam zijn gelijk McLaren Alonso - Hamilton dat eigenlijk ook was...

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Doe mee aan dit gesprek

Je kunt dit nu plaatsen en later registreren. Indien je reeds een account hebt, log dan nu in om het bericht te plaatsen met je account.

Gast
Reageer op dit topic

×   Geplakt als verrijkte tekst.   Plak in plaats daarvan als platte tekst

Er zijn maximaal 75 emoji toegestaan.

×   Je link werd automatisch ingevoegd.   Tonen als normale link

×   Je vorige inhoud werd hersteld.   Leeg de tekstverwerker

×   Je kunt afbeeldingen niet direct plakken. Upload of voeg afbeeldingen vanaf een URL in

• Nieuwe aanmaken...

Belangrijke informatie

Algemene Voorwaarden Gebruiksvoorwaarden | Privacybeleid