Ga naar inhoud

BMW Lovers

Pieter

Aanbevolen berichten

See the new BMW M engine – The S58!

• waren
BMW S58 engine 03 830x553

Five years after the debut of the S55, the time has come for a completely new BMW M straight-six engine. The S55 successor – the …

Five years after the debut of the S55, the time has come for a completely new BMW M straight-six engine. The S55 successor – the BMW S58 – will be the face of the M Division for the next few years and provide power to future models as well. It all starts now with the X3 M and X4 M, followed by the next generation of M3 and M4, and later by the next M2 generation.

The technical basis of the S58 is the B58 modular engine, which BMW has been using in almost all model series for some time now. The 3.0-liter engine has now been comprehensively redesigned in order to be able to fulfill the performance requirements of the M GmbH, in addition to the increasingly stringent emission regulations all over the world.

BMW S58 engine 29 830x553

Undoubtedly more important is the engine performance data. Even the entry-level version of the S58 delivers 480 PS (473 hp in the US) and offers 600 Newton meters (442 lb-ft) of torque, making it more powerful that even the engine found in the M3 CS and M4 CS models.

The top models X3 M Competition and X4 M Competition are using a tuned up version of the S58 delivering around 510 PS (503 hp), but the expectations are that more power can be squeezed out of the engine if other sportscars emerge under the M Division.

In the the 480-PS version of the S58, the torque is delivered between 2,600 and 5,600 rpm, while the drivers of the 510-PS version can even enjoy 600 Newton meters between 2,600 and 5,950 rpm. A little later, at 6,250 rpm, the maximum power is applied. A small step backwards is only reported at the maximum speed of 7,200 rpm, where the predecessor engine S55 still scored 100 additional revolutions per minute.

BMW S58 engine 21 830x553

This latest incarnation of M TwinPower Turbo technology features two mono- scroll turbochargers, which supply compressed air to cylinders 1 – 3 and 4 – 6 respectively. The engine’s power output is further enhanced through the use of upgraded compressors and an indirect intercooler supplied by a low- temperature circuit. A flow-optimised air intake system reduces pressure losses, while an electronically controlled wastegate (which can be closed quickly) enhances responsiveness. The wide-opening wastegate also heightens the effectiveness of the catalytic converters positioned close to the engine.

The High Precision Injection technology raises maximum injection pressure from 200 bar to 350 bar, enabling extremely efficient mixture preparation. The fine atomisation of the fuel in the combustion chambers minimises emissions, especially under full acceleration loads and at high speeds. The package of technology is rounded off by VALVETRONIC fully variable valve timing and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing. The result is a liter output of up to 170 hp per liter of displacement, making the new BMW S58 one of the best engines on the market.

BMW-S58-engine-12-830x553.jpg

In order to be able to offer not only high performance but also the revving pleasure expected of a BMW sports engine, the engineers rely on an extremely rigid construction with the lowest possible weight. The core of the cylinder head, produced in 3D printing technology, not only contributes to the lowest possible weight with its unique shape, it also supports thermal management with its coolant channels integrated in optimum form.

Three large radiators, an additional engine oil cooler and a separate transmission oil cooler keep the temperatures under control. A map-controlled oil pump with additional suction stage in conjunction with the oil sump, which has two chambers and an integrated suction channel, enables reliable lubrication even at high lateral accelerations.

BMW-S58-engine-02-830x553.jpg

It remains to be seen how well the engineers of the M GmbH have managed to get the sound of the engine. We already know that the exhaust system with flap control ensures different sound experiences depending on the selected driving program. As in the M5, a button on the center console can be used to activate a discreet mode, but more on this in the near future.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Smaken & kleuren...

PP-Performance-BMW-M6-Gran-Coupe-Electri

YELLOW SUBMARINE VAN 328 KM/H: BMW M6 GC RS800

Dat een BMW M6 Gran-Coupé in de kleur Java Green een uiterst lekker snoepje is kon je hier al zien, maar misschien is diezelfde M6 in de kleur Electric Lime nog even wat lekkerder.

Zeker als je weet dat deze door PP-Performance onder handen genomen “Beamer” over flink wat meer vermogen beschikt dan een standaard M6 Gran-Coupé. De 4,4-liter V8 met dubbele turbo die normaalgesproken 560Pk en 680Nm koppel levert, komt dankzij aanpassingen aan de ECU, een nieuw titanium uitlaatsysteem van Akrapovic en een setje BMC luchtfilters uit de racerij, uit op een vermogen van 800Pk en 950Nm koppel.

Dat had je ongetwijfeld al aan de kop boven dit bericht gezien, maar nu weet je het zeker. De RS800 heeft daarmee een topsnelheid van 328 km/h, terwijl de tijd voor de sprint naar de 100 km/h niet door de tuner bekend gemaakt is.

Aangezien een standaard M6 dat al in slechts 4,2 seconden voor elkaar krijgt zou het ons niet verbazen als deze gele onderzeeër het in 4 tellen rond of zelfs in 3,9 seconden voor elkaar krijgt. Je moet dan wel nog even 15 mille extra bij de prijs van een nieuwe M6 Gran-Coupé optellen.

Want dat is de prijs de PP-Performance voor al deze aanpassingen vraagt.

PP-Performance BMW M6 Gran Coupe Electric Lime geel 2014 01PP-Performance BMW M6 Gran Coupe Electric Lime geel 2014 03BMW-M50GC-PP-Performance-014BMW-M50GC-PP-Performance-013PP-Performance BMW M6 Gran Coupe Electric Lime geel 2014 08PP-Performance BMW M6 Gran Coupe Electric Lime geel 2014 06PP-Performance BMW M6 Gran Coupe Electric Lime geel 2014 05PP-Performance BMW M6 Gran Coupe Electric Lime geel 2014 07

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Toch wel erg dat die h-h-hakkelende (met alle respect voor z'n beperking) s-s-stickerkleefpeet gewoon z'n beperking l-l-laat verderl-l-lopen in z'n p-p-producten. :cry: 

• Vind ik leuk 1
Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

17 uren geleden, Soul zei:

Zeker als je weet dat deze door PP-Performance onder handen genomen “Beamer” over flink wat meer vermogen beschikt dan een standaard M6 Gran-Coupé. De 4,4-liter V8 met dubbele turbo die normaalgesproken 560Pk en 680Nm koppel levert, komt dankzij aanpassingen aan de ECU, een nieuw titanium uitlaatsysteem van Akrapovic en een setje BMC luchtfilters uit de racerij, uit op een vermogen van 800Pk en 950Nm koppel.

Wacht, de turbos zomaar omhoogdraaien om de helft meer koppel te leveren,  en geen enkele aanpassing nodig aan de motor/aandrijflijn?  Dan verwacht ik toch niet veel van de levensduur. Tenzij natuurlijk dat voor al die gebruikers het vooral het gedacht is dat telt.

aangepast door Le Capri Mauve
Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Op 13/2/2019 om 18:15, Soul zei:

See the new BMW M engine – The S58!

• waren
BMW S58 engine 03 830x553

Five years after the debut of the S55, the time has come for a completely new BMW M straight-six engine. The S55 successor – the …

Five years after the debut of the S55, the time has come for a completely new BMW M straight-six engine. The S55 successor – the BMW S58 – will be the face of the M Division for the next few years and provide power to future models as well. It all starts now with the X3 M and X4 M, followed by the next generation of M3 and M4, and later by the next M2 generation.

The technical basis of the S58 is the B58 modular engine, which BMW has been using in almost all model series for some time now. The 3.0-liter engine has now been comprehensively redesigned in order to be able to fulfill the performance requirements of the M GmbH, in addition to the increasingly stringent emission regulations all over the world.

BMW S58 engine 29 830x553

Undoubtedly more important is the engine performance data. Even the entry-level version of the S58 delivers 480 PS (473 hp in the US) and offers 600 Newton meters (442 lb-ft) of torque, making it more powerful that even the engine found in the M3 CS and M4 CS models.

The top models X3 M Competition and X4 M Competition are using a tuned up version of the S58 delivering around 510 PS (503 hp), but the expectations are that more power can be squeezed out of the engine if other sportscars emerge under the M Division.

In the the 480-PS version of the S58, the torque is delivered between 2,600 and 5,600 rpm, while the drivers of the 510-PS version can even enjoy 600 Newton meters between 2,600 and 5,950 rpm. A little later, at 6,250 rpm, the maximum power is applied. A small step backwards is only reported at the maximum speed of 7,200 rpm, where the predecessor engine S55 still scored 100 additional revolutions per minute.

BMW S58 engine 21 830x553

This latest incarnation of M TwinPower Turbo technology features two mono- scroll turbochargers, which supply compressed air to cylinders 1 – 3 and 4 – 6 respectively. The engine’s power output is further enhanced through the use of upgraded compressors and an indirect intercooler supplied by a low- temperature circuit. A flow-optimised air intake system reduces pressure losses, while an electronically controlled wastegate (which can be closed quickly) enhances responsiveness. The wide-opening wastegate also heightens the effectiveness of the catalytic converters positioned close to the engine.

The High Precision Injection technology raises maximum injection pressure from 200 bar to 350 bar, enabling extremely efficient mixture preparation. The fine atomisation of the fuel in the combustion chambers minimises emissions, especially under full acceleration loads and at high speeds. The package of technology is rounded off by VALVETRONIC fully variable valve timing and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing. The result is a liter output of up to 170 hp per liter of displacement, making the new BMW S58 one of the best engines on the market.

BMW-S58-engine-12-830x553.jpg

In order to be able to offer not only high performance but also the revving pleasure expected of a BMW sports engine, the engineers rely on an extremely rigid construction with the lowest possible weight. The core of the cylinder head, produced in 3D printing technology, not only contributes to the lowest possible weight with its unique shape, it also supports thermal management with its coolant channels integrated in optimum form.

Three large radiators, an additional engine oil cooler and a separate transmission oil cooler keep the temperatures under control. A map-controlled oil pump with additional suction stage in conjunction with the oil sump, which has two chambers and an integrated suction channel, enables reliable lubrication even at high lateral accelerations.

BMW-S58-engine-02-830x553.jpg

It remains to be seen how well the engineers of the M GmbH have managed to get the sound of the engine. We already know that the exhaust system with flap control ensures different sound experiences depending on the selected driving program. As in the M5, a button on the center console can be used to activate a discreet mode, but more on this in the near future.

Allemaal goed en wel, maar waar zit de kwaal nu weer... elke M motor heeft zo zijn gekend serieus gebrek 😬

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Op 12/2/2019 om 23:14, Timo zei:

Gisteren op terugweg van de zee achter een LCI E39 M5 gereden, vermoedelijk nog eerste eigenaar (nog oude 6 cijferplaat).
De bestuurder, een man van rond de 60, peerde er nog vrolijk mee door en dat klonk niet alleen hemels, het zag er zo goed uit! Wat blijft dit toch een enorm dikke kist om te zien! :inlove: 

In't doorgaan naar de zee, toevallig ook een nog volledig OEM LCI E39 530d Berline M-pack gezien in zilvergrijs (in mijn ogen mooiste kleur icm M-pack) tegengekomen. Ook deze vermoedelijk nog van eerst eigenaar. Echt gapend voorbij gereden... blijft zo'n mooie auto!

Clean design, geen hoekjes en kantjes, velgen met een mooie deep set, sportief en elegant at once. 
Als ze nog volledig OEM zijn (helaas eerder uitzonderlijk) nog altijd een fantastisch mooie auto !

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

TEST DRIVE: 2019 BMW Z4 sDrive30i — No Straight-Six, No Problem

BMW Z4 sDrive30i Test Fest 3 of 25 830x553

When it comes to the BMW Z4, the version everyone wants to know about is the Z4 M40i. It’s the first M Performance variant of …

When it comes to the BMW Z4, the version everyone wants to know about is the Z4 M40i. It’s the first M Performance variant of the Z4 and it’s the one that famously shares its engine with the Toyota Supra. That engine is BMW’s excellent B58 3.0 liter turbocharged I6 engine and it makes a whopping 382 hp in North America. However, the version of the Z4 that seems to take a backseat, one that’s often forgotten by enthusiasts, is the new BMW Z4 sDrive30i. I’m here to tell you, though, that it shouldn’t be forgotten.

We recently attended BMW’s Test Fest in Palm Springs, California, at the wonderful Thermal Club. If you’ve never been to Thermal, you need to check it out. It’s basically a country club for rich car enthusiasts and it’s awesome.

BMW Z4 sDrive30i Test Fest 33 of 11 830x553

While there, we were able to test several new BMWs, on both road and track, and one of them was the new BMW Z4 sDrive30i. While we were only able to sample it on the road, and surrounding construction limited our fun during the route, we drove it enough to understand that it’s a great little sports car that shouldn’t live in the shadow of its six-cylinder sibling.

Six-Cylinder, Who?

Let’s start with what the Z4 ’30i is. Under the skin, it’s essentially the same car as the M40i version, only it packs a 2.0 liter turbocharged four-cylinder under its hood. That little turbo four-pot might be small but it delivers a hefty 255 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque, the latter of which being available between 1,550-4,400 rpm. So it has some serious punch, especially when you consider it only weighs about 3,200 lbs. So 0-60 mph is claimed to take 5.2 seconds. We wouldn’t be surprised if it actually cracked the high four-second range in real world testing, though.

BMW Z4 sDrive30i Test Fest 26 of 11 830x553

Out of corners and when pulling away from a stop, the Z4 ’30i packs plenty of punch, more than enough to spin its wheels and make a bit of a scene. It doesn’t sound great but it’s not bad, either. It’s more of a generic angry turbo-four noise. It’s enough to make things exciting, though. It makes up for that with character, though. It pulls smoothly throughout its rev range and the eight-speed auto makes easy work of swapping cogs. So its acceleration and performance are more than enough to be fun.

Not Just a Pretty Face

Though, you don’t buy the four-cylinder BMW Z4 for straight-line performance. You buy it because you can live without the performance of the six-cylinder but still want a fun little roadster. And it is indeed a fun little roadster, don’t let its funny looks fool you.

On the move, the Z4’s steering is heavier than expected (though, it’s still relatively light) and very sharp. Even small steering inputs make the Z4 respond in kind and it feels lively. It’s far sharper than I had anticipated and it makes the front end feel very connected, very accurate. While there’s little in the way of actual steering feel, the front end responds exactly to its steering inputs and that allows you to lean on it, feel confident in it. So even without much actual feel, it’s a very accurate, very responsive little car.

BMW-Z4-sDrive30i-Test-Fest-31-of-11-830x

Then there’s the chassis, which is very playful and incredibly rigid for a two-door roadster. To be honest, I didn’t sample it with the top up (why would anyone drive a Z4 with the top up in Palm Springs, honestly?), and I completely forgot it was a roadster. During my drive, the chassis felt so stiff and rigid that I never once noticed a single shimmy or shake. It’s that good.

I was also really impressed by its suspension setup. The car I was testing had adaptive dampers and even in its Sport mode, it never felt harsh or uncomfortable. When you consider that the roads around Thermal are horrific — filled with rough pavement and deep potholes — and that it lacks a fixed roof, the fact that the Z4 is actually comfortable even in Sport mode is seriously impressive. Despite being comfortable, it’s never soft or squishy, like the previous Z4. It’s a proper sports car and both its suspension and chassis feel firm and composed. So it’s impressively damped; full of composure but never harshness.

Prettier in Person

Personally, I think it looks great as well. While I didn’t love it in photos, seeing it in person makes a big difference. The car I drove was wearing Frozen Grey II Metallic paint with Magma Red interior and 19-inch jet black wheels. It looked like a proper sports car, both inside and out, and while sitting in it, it felt special. Though, the best color option is Misano Blue. There was only one available at Test Fest in that blue and it looked fantastic. If it were my money, that’d be my color.

BMW-Z4-sDrive30i-Test-Fest-15-of-25-830x

While the inside isn’t much different than that of a 3 Series, it feels a bit more special. The seats adjust nice and low, so you can sit low enough to feel like you’re sitting on the ground and that’s what you want in a sports car. Despite sitting low, there’s still enough visibility over the scuttle (and I’m only 5’9″ on a good day), so it’s easy to see out of and place on the road. The seats are also very comfortable and supportive while looking great, as well.

Complaints? There are a few. While the digital gauges are the same as on all new BMWs, the actual screen is much smaller on the Z4 than it is on, say, the 3 Series. Because of that, they can be a bit tough to read while driving quickly. Thankfully, the brilliant head-up display can provide you with all the info you need. Also, some of the materials felt a bit less than stellar on the inside for a car that costs closer to $60,000 than $40,000. And for a pure, bespoke sports car, it should have a better sounding exhaust.

BMW-Z4-sDrive30i-Test-Fest-5-of-25-830x6

No Six-Cylinder, No Problem

Though, these are minor quibbles. The new BMW Z4 sDrive30i is a great little sports car and is already one of the best sporty roadsters on the market. We didn’t get much time in it but I can already say that it’s better to drive than any roadster in its price range that doesn’t wear a “Boxster” badge on it. And even still, I think the Z4 can properly challenge it. Do you smell a comparison test coming?

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

The Transporter made many young BMW fans

transporter bmw 750x479

In one of my very first articles written for BMWBLOG, I wrote about how my love for BMW really started when I saw The Transporter, …

In one of my very first articles written for BMWBLOG, I wrote about how my love for BMW really started when I saw The Transporter, the first film of the trilogy. In The Transporter, Jason Statham stars as Frank Martin, a former military man who decides to become a bit of a getaway driver and a man who will deliver some unsavory things for some unsavory people. But the reason the movie jump-started my love for BMWs, as well as it did for many enthusiasts, has nothing to do with the plot, but the car he drives — an E38 BMW 7 Series.

Technically, the E38 BMW 735i Statham drove in The Transporter never existed, as it was made for the movie and was never a production vehicle. That doesn’t matter, though. It was a black on black E38 7 Series with a manual gearbox and it was absolutely ace. It showed off BMW’s Ultimate Driving Machine ethos in full force and it was quite possibly the best advertisement for the BMW 7 Series in history.

3851009 the transporter 750x422

What’s more, Statham’s Martin took meticulous care of his 7er. The Transporter would clean, maintain and care for his car himself after each and ever drive and it showed an enthusiasm for his car that you don’t see in other movies that feature such cool driving. In fact, in most movies with great car chase scenes, the cars, no matter how fantastic or expensive, are treated as disposable items, action-scene fodder. Not so in The Transporter. Sure, his 7 Series ends up exploding thanks to a failed assassination attempt on Martin (Spoiler Alert), but that enrages him and it wasn’t treated as a trivial plot point. They destroyed his car and he’s pissed about it. Oh and they tried to kill him, too. But killing his precious 7er was the real crime.

Aside from BMW Films’ “Star“, which featured Clive Owen hooning an E39 M5 with Madonna in the back seat, I don’t think there’s been any film, short or otherwise, that made me want to own and drive a BMW more than The Transporter. Being that it’s Friday and the weekend is upon us, you should watch it at some point during. The movie itself is pretty campy and absurd and, as a whole, not very good. But the 7 Series and the opening car chase scene are worth it alone.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

1 uur geleden, gTa zei:

Nope. Enkel op de coupé/cabrio. Op de berline is het 100% aftermarket.

Thx, was het niet zeker. Het is moeilijk om nog een originele te vinden in goede staat blijkbaar.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

1 uur geleden, jvc zei:

Thx, was het niet zeker. Het is moeilijk om nog een originele te vinden in goede staat blijkbaar.

Als 't maar lichten swappen is: wat houdt je tegen? Daar zou ik niet om malen, als de andere (nl. de belangrijke) criteria snor zitten.

Velgen, uitlaat, lichten, booskijkers, CAI, zelfs veren/dempers enz. ... valt makkelijk terug OEM te zetten. 

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

13 uren geleden, jvc zei:

Een vraagje voor de BMW kenners: had je op de E46 sedan facelift ook LED tail lights zoals op de coupé?

$_57.jpg

Facelift sedan had ander design achterlichten, met de witte of oranje doorlopende pinkerlijn in het midden van het lichtblok.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

13 uren geleden, gTa zei:

Als 't maar lichten swappen is: wat houdt je tegen? Daar zou ik niet om malen, als de andere (nl. de belangrijke) criteria snor zitten.

Velgen, uitlaat, lichten, booskijkers, CAI, zelfs veren/dempers enz. ... valt makkelijk terug OEM te zetten. 

De prijs, mag nog wat af als ik de lichten moet swappen 😛
De velgen zijn ook style 73 ipv style 68, die ik het liefst zie. De advertentie staat er nog maar pas op dus ik heb nog wat tijd om erover na te denken.

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

4 uren geleden, bt. zei:

Facelift sedan had ander design achterlichten, met de witte of oranje doorlopende pinkerlijn in het midden van het lichtblok.

De OEM sedan lichten zijn veel mooier ook imo :)

Link naar reactie
Delen op andere sites

Doe mee aan dit gesprek

Je kunt dit nu plaatsen en later registreren. Indien je reeds een account hebt, log dan nu in om het bericht te plaatsen met je account.

Gast
Reageer op dit topic

×   Geplakt als verrijkte tekst.   Plak in plaats daarvan als platte tekst

Er zijn maximaal 75 emoji toegestaan.

×   Je link werd automatisch ingevoegd.   Tonen als normale link

×   Je vorige inhoud werd hersteld.   Leeg de tekstverwerker

×   Je kunt afbeeldingen niet direct plakken. Upload of voeg afbeeldingen vanaf een URL in

• Nieuwe aanmaken...

Belangrijke informatie

Algemene Voorwaarden Gebruiksvoorwaarden | Privacybeleid